Friday 15 November 2013

Me Hokona Atu Ngā Rawa O Aotearoa

My friends and I protesting the sale of New Zealand assets

For the last two years I have been attending Te Wananga o Aotearoa in order to finally learn to speak te reo Māori fluently. At the end of this second year we must take part in a debate. This is my "speech", first in te reo Māori and then below in te reo Pakeha (English). My thanks to our tutor Arama Cooper for such fine teaching this year, my team mates, Sandra and Kylie, and to Benni in America for her help with the final hurdle. Kia ora koutou. 


Tēnā koutou katoa.   Tēnā koutou ki te rōpu ātete.

Kua whakanui mātau mō tōu koutou whakaaro ātete, engari, kei te hē tāu kōrero! Me kī tino he kaingākau atu ahau ki te whaikōrero, heoi anō, kāore koe e puta he tautohenga ngoto!

Nō reira, ki te hokona atu te kawanatanga i ngā rawa o Aotearoa, ka aha tātou katoa? Ka taea e au te whakaara ngā tohenga nei, notemea, ka umere nui ahau, a, he kōrero nui tāku. 

Ehara taku toa i te toa takitahi, engari he toa takitini. Ka rangahau whānui mātou katoa i te kaupapa nei.

Tuatahi, me titiro tātou i ō tātou tāhuhu kōrero. Kei te mohio tātou katoa i ngā whenua raupatu i ngā wai o mua. Kei te mohio tātou, roa kau iho i hainatanga te tangata i te Tiriti o Waitangi, i tahae ngā taonga e te Paremata o Pakeha Koroniara i timata, nei. Me ako tātou katoa i te matakana o te Paremata, a, ngā kowaruwarutanga o ō ratou ture, ēwhea he huanga ano mā rātou, a, me o rātou hoa pukoru hōhonu hoki. Kua roa te wā e tātari ana i ngā ngau Māori kia mahia ki a rātou. Ki te hokona atu e te kawanatanga i ngā rawa o Aotearoa, me pēhea ngā hēnga e i whakatika ai?

Nō reira, ā te wā, kua whakatinanatia ngā hinonga e te kawanatanga, anei e whai ake ana, he  huarahi, he arahanga, he rerewei, he hungarau whakawhitiwhiti whakaaro, he hiko, arā noa atu hokiMā ēnei hinonga hou kua tipu ngā mahi mō tātou tīpuna. He nui te tāke mā rātou hei utu mō ngā hinonga hōu. He tangata mate ētahi, he tangata whara ētahi. I whaia ngā rawa hou e ngā tangata katoa o Aotearoa, hei paingā mō te marea!
Kei te whai tātou ngā rawa! Ko koutou, ko au, ko tātou katoa!

Engari, i roto i ngā tau waru tekau, i hokona atu te kawanatanga ngā rawa. I kī ratou, he tino pai te tūmataiti i ngā rawa! I kī a ratou, kāore anō ngā mahi kia ngaro! I kī a rātou, he ngā wai te utu! Harahara aitu, harahara ā tai! I piki ake koremahi! I piki ake utu! I piki ake hāhoretanga! I piki ake whakamomori!

No reira, kei te pirangi ahau i te kōrero i te Poutāpeta o Aotearoa. Ki te pakeke koutou katoa i pēnā ahau, ka mahara koutou katoa te Poutāpeta o Aotearoa (NZ Post Office). He Kawanatanga Tari. He whaia marea. He toritori te Poutāpeta o Aotearoa. I whakahaere te tari i te hungarau whakawhitiwhiti whakaaro, he waea, he mēra ngata, a, i whakahaere te pēke i te whakahaere ratonga, he penihana kohi, he rēhita whānautanga, he mārenatanga, he matenga, he waka whenua, a, i hari te pouka whakaata me te ika raihana moni rēhita; me he pōti whakauru! 

I te tau kotahi mano e iwa rau, e waru tekau mā whitu, i toritori te Poutāpeta o Aotearoa i te pakihi toru, me i rangatōpū rātou. Ko Telecom, Ko Poutāpeta Aotearoa, Ko Peke Poutāpeta. I whakahaere ratou i State Owned Enterprises (SOE), a, i whakahaere ratou i te pakihi tauhokohoko, a, i hanga rātou ngā hua nui. I te tau kotahi mano e iwa rau, e iwa tekau, I hokona rāwāhi Telecom e te kawanatanga, ki ngā kamupene e rua Amerika mō e whā piriona, e rua tekau mā rima miriona tāra. A muri i tera, ka rere rāwāhi ngā hua nui. I whakaaro a Telstra Clear e wha rau miriona tāra te moni whiwhi i ngaro ki tangata kē ia tau. Kāore a Telecom i hiahia ki te whakawhanake pakiaka mō te ipurangi, a, i whakapae a Telecom i nanati meake nei e te Kaipakihi Ā Iwi Tirohanga Hou niupepa. Inaianei, kua hīrere tonu tātou. Kua hokona ā tātou take kawanatanga o tēnei wa i utu a Chorus ki te hanga i te pakiaka rā, he pīrangi nō tātou.

Mea rawa ake, i hoko anō hoki ā tatou rawa Tereina Aotearoa, a, Rererangi Aotearoa hoki. I whakahē te rangatira paraiweti. He whakatauira noa iho. Engari! Pupuritia ōku hoiho! Kātahi anō te Kawanatanga ka pānui ka hoko ia ngā wāhi nā anō. Kua whakaingoa ngā pāti ātete i hoko ngā wāhi nā me whakatoatoa te kawanatanga! Ae. Nō reira, he whakatauira anō. He rārangi pūmau.

No reira, he aha tutuki te paraiweti? 

Kua tutuki te paraiweti i ngā kamupene tāwāhi whairawa, a, he tino ruarua ngā tangata whairawa nei. Ko Graeme Hart he whakatauira. I hokona ia i te Tari Kaita Kāwanatanga tino ngāwari. He whai taonga i te rawa i te ao nei. Heoi anō, Ināianei, i te tau nei, kei te kānataraka atu ngā Kura Hautaka, i te mea ai, he hua kore ēnei mea. He ngaro tikanga ā iwi.

He aha kē atu tutuki?

I roto i ngā tau kotahi mano, iwa rau, iwa tekau, i paraiweti ētahi kamupene hiko i pōhēhē ki te utu maha, a, ki raro i te moni whakaangao, i pōhēhē moana tuihera kau, a, he hiko panga pouri i a Tamaki Makaurau.

Ināianei, me ariari tonu ki a tātou katoa, tē rangatiratanga paraiweti rā pōhēhē ngā rawa kōhuhu, a, kōre moni whakaangao. 

Kua kī ahau, “E  hia motunga o te weka i te māhanga!”

I te rua tekau tau tērā, he i ngā ture ā taiao mārō. Inaianei, kei te haina te kawanatanga tēnei wā i roto i ngā kirimini mārō ahakoa, pēnā te TPPA. Kua tua atu te TPPA i te aweawe te ao o whakahekenga utu here, me, te hokohoko tokonga, nei. Kua whakahei ia hiko tahi ki ngā kaporeihana, a, kua takahe i runga ngā pānga kaiwhakapau, ngā pānga kaimahi, me ngā pānga taiao, ahakoa, kua roroku te hiko o te tau tangata o ngā iwi o te ao i te whawhai ngā kaporeihana rā. 

Kua kī ahau ki a koutou katoa, “Kāore hokona atu e ngā rawa o Aotearoa! Kāore hokona atu e meake nei o ō tātou tamariki, me ō tātou mokopuna! Kāore hokona atu e ō tātou mana motuhake! Kāore hokona atu e ō tātou rangatiratanga!"

Kia ora koutou mō te mea angitu i te kōrero ki pēnā kaupapa kōrero whakahirahira, a, kia ora mō pēnā kaiwhakarongo pai.

Greetings to you all. Greetings to the opposing team. We have respect for your opposing view but what you are saying is wrong! I must say, I really enjoyed your speech, however, you have not produced a telling argument!

So, if the government sells away the assets of Aotearoa, what will happen to us all? I have the ability to present this subject because I have a big voice and I have plenty to say! But my strength is not mine alone, it comes from the collective group. We have all researched this subject extensively.

Firstly, we should look at our history. We all know about the land confiscations in the past. We all know it wasn’t long after people signed the Treaty of Waitangi, the stealing of taonga by the Colonial Pakeha Parliament began. We should all have learned to be wary of Parliament and the intricacies of their laws which benefit themselves and their wealthy mates. Māori have waited a long time for the wrongs that were done to them to be put right. If the government sells away our the assets of Aotearoa, how will those wrongs be made right?

So, in due course, subsequent governments implemented infrastructure schemes (projects), such as roads, bridges, rail, communications technology, electrical supply and more. These new projects created jobs  for our tipuna. They were also taxed heavily to pay for this new infrastructureMany people who worked on these projects were killed or maimed. The new assets were owned by all the people of New Zealand for the common good. We own the assets! You, me, all of us!

But, in the eighties, the  government sold some of our assets. They said, privatising would make the assets more efficient! They said, no jobs would be lost! They said, prices would be cheaper! It was a disaster! Unemployment rose! Prices rose! Poverty rose! Suicide rose!

So I want to speak about the New Zealand Post Office.

If you were old like me, you would remember the NZ Post Office. It was a Government Department. It was publicly owned. The NZ Post Office was very busy. It controlled communications technology, the phone, the snail mail; and it ran banking; and it controlled services, collecting pensions, registering births, marriages, cars, and collecting television and fishing license fees; and enrolled people to vote. 

In the year, nineteen eighty-seven,  the New Zealand Post office was split into 3 businesses and corporatised. The businesses were Telecom, NZ Post and Post Bank. They were operated as State Owned Enterprises (SOE) and expected to operate like commercial businesses, and to make profits. In the year nineteen ninety, Telecom was sold overseas by the government, to two American companies for NZ$4.25billion. After that, all the massive profits flew overseas. Telstra Clear estimated the loss of income to Aotearoa to be some 400 million per year.

Telecom did not develop the infrastructure needed for the internet, and the National Business Review paper accused Telecom of strangling New Zealand’s advancement. Now we are in catch-up mode. The current government is spending our taxes to pay Chorus to lay that infrastructure we so badly need.

The next thing, we were forced to buy back NZ Rail and Air New Zealand. The private owners had run them to the ground. But! Hold your horses! The government has just announced that it intends to reduce its shareholding in Air New Zealand again! Opposition parties have labelled the newest share float as arrogant! Yes. So these are just some examples. There are more. The list feels endless.

So, what has privatisation achieved? Privatisation has achieved riches for some overseas companies and a very few people here. One such example is Graeme Hart. He bought Government Print at a bargain basement price. Now he is wealthy in the goods of this world. However, this year, School Journals are being contracted out because they are seen as profitless. Another kiwi icon lost.

So, what else has been achieved?

In the 1990s the privatisation of some electricity companies led to rapid price increases and under-investment which resulted in low lake levels and electricity blackouts in Auckland. 

It is now very clear to us all, that private ownership leads to asset stripping and little investment.

I say, “once bitten, twice shy!”

In the last twenty years, international law has become more rigid. Now, our current government is signing us into even tighter agreements like the TPPA. The TPPA reaches far beyond the realm of tariff reduction and trade promotion. It grants unprecedented power to corporations and infringes upon consumer, labour and environmental interests, while weakening the power of nation states to oppose the corporations.

I say to you all, "Don't sell away the assets of Aotearoa! Don't sell away the futures of our children and our grandchildren! Don't sell away our sovereignty. Don't sell away our dominion over our land and sea!"

Thank you for the opportunity to speak to such an important topic, and thank you for being such good listeners.

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful speech. I am happy for my small contribution. Privatization is becoming a harsh burden upon the people of the US and the world. Corporations are so powerful and do not have rulers that are accountable to the people. Among my friends we talk of being owned by Coca-cola. Not literally, but coca-cola being a metaphor for big companies that seek to destroy labor unions, social infrastructures, and individual rights. I wish the best for Aotearoa. Kia ora.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, on that logic we might believe we are being owned by Fonterra and perhpas that is not far from the truth. Incidentally it is cheaper to buy coca cola for your kids here than to buy them Fonterra's milk. Fonterra (as it destroys our environment in the name of profit and more profit) argues that their success is of economic benefit to our country, however the people here (now labelled consumers of course) are forced to pay the same price for milk as is paid by our export market. "tis hard to see where our benefit lies ...

      Delete
    2. This must have been a powerful, fact-based and compelling speech indeed, Iri Ani. Kudos to you for learning a new language!

      Delete
    3. Actually I delivered far more powerfully than I intended. Te reo Māori is an awesome language for speeches!

      Delete
  2. I thought I'd already commented on this post, something must have gone wrong somewhere Iri.....anyway, congratulations on your excellent bilingual speech, I found the red version somewhat easier to follow than the black, a situation I am familiar with from dealings with my bank.
    Its good you can 'sock it to 'em' in two languages and a real achievement to have reached your impressive degree of mastery, brilliant indeed.

    I can identify with similar motivations, I wished I could have conversed in Welsh when I lived in Cardiff (let alone led a revolution in Welsh like you have done here in teo reo Máori Iri) ...but I was only there for about 3 years and never got very far past 'bore da' (good morning)...it didn't help that hardly any adults in Cardiff spoke Welsh at that time and English remains the dominant language in the capital of Wales even today.

    You have assimilated not just another means of expressing yourself, a great achievement in itself of course... but another way of thinking about the world which is the greatest achievement of all in my book

    It obviously goes without saying that I endorse the politics wholeheartedly...globalism has cemented us into the same constituency, the big issues are much the same everywhere, greed, stupidity and psychopathy stalk the Anglosphere in the same way that the plague, cholera and typhoid used to until comparatively recently. Those pathogens have been controlled but now new diseases abound which are no less deadly, only this time the viruses are largely virtual. A brilliant speech... Bravo!.

    Had to delete the other one because of typos Iri, there's probably some still here, oh dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I deleted the footprint of your deletion. Just because I could. And the page looks tidier too. I'm not surprised the red version was easier to follow, I too have bank experience, also memories of lecturers with red pens and teachers making little red crosses beside many of my test answers back in the day. When you think about it, the colour red has many negative connotations attached to it.

      The situation of the Welsh language in Wales is very similar to that of te reo Māori in Aotearoa. For many years speaking te reo Māori in New Zealand schools was completely banned and many Māori parents, trying to help their kids to get on in life, stopped speaking Māori at home so as to reinforce the children's learning of English. thus generations of children grew up not being able to speak their own language and that is so seriously bad, so seriously isolating to people when they cannot speak/understand their own language. It cuts them off or reduces their understanding, their engagement with their own culture.

      The first kohanga reo (language nest) for babies and preschoolers was opened in 1981 in the North Island (te Waka A Maui). By 1983/84 we had our kohanga in Lyttelton and I took my daughter there, she was about 2 and a half at the time, and she loved it. Knowledge of kohanga reo spread around the Pacific Rim and as far north as Vancouver, and television documentaries were made about kohanga reo specifically for showing to other speech communities, such as the Welsh and Gaels whose language survival has also been threatened by the global dominance of the English language (that red language even).

      Learning this very different te reo Māori which has evolved entirely separately from European languages does indeed involve learning another way of thinking. An observation I will make is that each time I, as a Pakeha, have been involved with any Māori language group, I have been so impressed with the way in which I and other Pakeha have been welcomed in, and encouraged, and supported in our endeavours. I wish I could say that Māori were equally welcomed at all levels of Pakeha life but this is not the case. The meanness, the nastiness, the greed always seem to emanate originally from the Pakeha side. And no I am not saying that all Māori are saints and all Pakeha are sinners, but in group situations what I have said above is my experience of how things have worked.

      Some of the speech seemed quite basic I thought and for sure this had a lot to do with my level of competency in te reo Māori but also I dwelt a lot on an example of the history of the New Zealand Post Office and this is because it became very clear to me that a lot of younger people do not know this history of how we moved from a social focus in politics to a greed-based one. Many people under forty seem to think life has always been this way and I suppose it is that things like Rogernomics/Thatcherism/Reaganomics are not taught in our schools, at least, not unless as an older child you take an economics course or something. I always told my kids these stories of course, so I was quite horrified when, while we were discussing our debate and what we would say, the third (young) member of our group told me she had never heard this stuff before. Hence I leant heavily on the history which I had thought was basic stuff but I realise once again that I am often inclined to forget that just because I know something it doesn't follow that everyone else does.

      Anyway! enough already! Thank you and others for reading and commenting here.

      Delete